Erectile Dysfunction Causes and Treatment
Erectile dysfunction is characterized by the inability to perform full sexual intercourse due to the complete absence of erection or its lack. There are many reasons why a healthy man may not be ready for sex, so if you are confronted with such an incident for the first time, treat its calmly, this happens to almost everyone. Doctors recommend seeking counseling when problems with erection occur more frequently than with every 4th sexual intercourse.
What causes erectile dysfunction?
Several factors play an important role in the mechanism of erection, and failure at any level will affect the final result:
- psychological. The excitement begins from the brain: a man must experience positive emotions, be calm and relaxed. Essential in the process of sexual excitement is a woman’s behavior, sometimes an embarrassing word or excessive affairs can significantly weaken an erection.
- hormonal. The decline in the production of male sex hormones usually occurs with age, but in some cases, this phenomenon is caused by an endocrine system disease. In recent years, doctors increasingly diagnose erectile dysfunction in obese young men: an excess of adipose tissue changes male hormone balance.
- neurological. Erectile dysfunction may be the result of the central or peripheral nervous system violations – after a certain disease or due to long-lasting use of certain medications (antidepressants, beta-blockers, anti-allergy drugs and others).
- vascular. Since the erection occurs due to the filling of its tissues with blood, vascular diseases such as atherosclerosis and hypertension can adversely affect an erection. Often it is the vascular factor that causes impotence in men of mature age.
- anatomical. Due to some congenital structural features of the urogenital system, as well as a result of operations or accidents, problems may arise with the normal blood filling of the penis in the process of sexual excitement.
Sometimes, a psychological reason is added to the anatomical factors – having experienced a painful shock after an injury, a man may subconsciously fear sexual contact, which will make an erection weak.
Modern methods of ED treatment
In rare cases, the doctor prescribes a single method of treatment, focused on the elimination of the pathological factor. Much more often, especially in the case of the “neglected” form of erectile dysfunction and for men of mature age, an integrated approach is effective. It is characterized by a combination of therapeutic techniques aimed not only at the rapid restoration of sexual function which initially led to the disease, but also to fight inconfidence that develops in most patients.
People traditionally take drugs against erectile dysfunction as a miracle pill, after which sexual function is instantly restored – only for a few hours. For example, sildenafil or tadalafil-based products work in a similar way. Other drugs are aimed at addressing the root causes of the disease. This may be, for example, hormonal drugs prescribed by a doctor, vitamins and dietary supplements that contribute to the normalization of the sexual glands, drugs that improve the conduction of impulses along the nerve fibers, and so on.
By the way, drugs against erectile dysfunction do not always look like tablets: for some patients, treatment is prescribed in the form of ointments, injections, rectal suppositories and solutions for injection directly into the external opening of the urethra. The success of such therapy is determined by the individual characteristics of each patient, so you should be prepared for possible side effects, as well as following certain rules.
Other treatment methods
In a situation when an erection is not always achieved during the sexual intercourse doctors talk about the psychogenic nature of erectile dysfunction. In this case, the excitement can be achieved during masturbation or sleep. Often, in order to help the patient, it is not necessary to prescribe pharmaceutical preparations or medical procedures, it is enough to visit a qualified psychotherapist (sometimes attended with a partner). The specialist will help you understand your emotions and advise effective techniques aimed at restoring sensuality, overcoming difficulties and creating a romantic atmosphere in the bedroom.
If conservative treatment is recognized as ineffective, and there is no chance of restoring the natural penile function, the doctor will recommend an operation on the vessels or penile prosthesis to his client. Modern approaches to surgery allow men to return to the joy of sex life in 95% of cases. The patient will no longer need to turn to “emergency pills” or a vacuum pump. The main disadvantage of the surgical method is the high cost of the operation, as well as possible individual contraindications to the operation, which is undesirable for people of advanced age.